County Budget and Taxes
- The board set the upcoming advertised real estate rate to 91 cents per $100, the lowest rate in Chesterfield's history.
- 5 million surplus dollars has been set aside to ensure elderly residents will not lose their eligibility for tax relief due to increased Social Security payments. We also increased the net worth tax relief threshold for the first time in 15 years for the same reason.
- For the first time in history, the Chesterfield Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance on April 5th that allows the county to return tax dollars that were not spent. 12.5 million dollars has been returned to the property owners as a 5 percent rebate on the June real estate tax bill.
To look up your rebate amount click here: https://www.chesterfield.gov/828/Real-Estate-Assessment-Data#/
Enter your address (only the street name and number) to search then click on your address and then on tax. Click on the drop-down arrow for tax account history and then click on 2023 1st half. You should see an adjustment to your tax bill under Adjustments/Payments in red.
As promised, Kevin voted to:
- Allocate $28 million dollars to rebuild the bridges on Otterdale Road. The Horsepen Creek Bridge and the Blackman Creek Bridge are completed. The last bridge will be completed by the end of 2023. Otterdale Road from Woolridge to Hull Street has been widened and straightened to improve safety.
- Approve $117,177,675 in CVTA dollars for specific transportation projects in 2021-2026. https://www.chesterfield.gov/574/Transportation
- Approve a $276,000,000 regional transportation plan as CVTA Vice Chair. Approximately $80,361,150 of the funds are proposed for five Chesterfield projects. The funding includes $20,000,000 to widen Hull Street Road from Woodlake to Otterdale Road. https://planrva.org/transportation/cvta/
Kevin continues to work with federal, state and regional leaders to find a path forward to fund and build the Powhite Parkway extension. This includes meeting with Secretary of Transportation W. Sheppard Miller III and VDOT to obtain additional funding for road paving in Chesterfield.
Education and Schools
As promised, Kevin worked collectively with the school board, community members, and county staff to better prioritize infrastructure projects. Funding was approved to build a new middle school off Otterdale Road and rebuild Falling Creek Middle School School. There will also be a new elementary school and high school in western Matoaca.
Kevin voted to:
- Approve a pay study for teachers and school staff. The study was conducted and resulted in the implementation of a competitive pay plan for our school employees.
- Increase school funding to increase bus drivers' pay to attract and retain quality employees to safely drive children to and from school.
- Allocate federal dollars in the form of COVID relief to the school board to update security systems, address overdue maintenance issues, and replace HVAC systems.
As promised, a public safety pay study was conducted to address pay compression and ensure that Chesterfield County provides its employees a competitive pay and compensation package. The county implemented the plan over two years and brought parity in pay to public safety.
During the COVID lockdowns, the Board of Supervisors directed county staff to work in partnership with the Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce and launched the “Back in Business” partnership with the grant program to support small businesses negatively affected by COVID-19. The $10,000 grants were designed to provide immediate relief to businesses to help them remain in business through the COVID-19 pandemic and prepare for reopening under the guidelines of Forward Virginia.
Since being elected, Kevin has supported and voted to bring new business to Chesterfield County. Businesses lower the burden of personal property and real estate taxes for individual taxpayers and create jobs.
These include LEGO, Plenty Chooses, Red Rock Development, Super Radiator Coils, Civica Rx, Collins Enterprises, and Starplast USA.
SIGN UP FOR EMAIL UPDATES: SIGN UP NOW!